It's exactly 30 days since I came! Here's a recap of this month
1) Medical camp with the local government the first week here. We saw them again today and we'll do our next one on Friday.
2) Medical outreach with the Missionaries of Charity - and as time permits I'll start training them in basic medical things. A dream come true to work with them! :) Really if you guys haven't seen the Mother Theresa movie, I would really recommend it. Some are better than others, but both that I saw were good.
3) Looked for a house and today I signed the paperwork! We now have a center! I'm so excited. I'll post pics on facebook so you can see what a great deal God got us! (wait a day though cause I might not get them up so fast)
4) Met with a bunch of really cool people from all different organizations and have meetings with IJM and SISHA later this week! I have to say, all the people I have met have been so inspirational, their lives and character just make you want to be better
5) Formed friendships that I will get to keep for a long time! I have a social network already! :) I love how fast you connect with people on the mission field! Yes I don't have much time to socialize but it's still great to get that occassional call or sms.
6) Interesting random connections. Michael's english boss ended up being some high up government official! So I am protected should anyone ever try to take undue advantage of me :) Shopping with Kimmy ended up with me meeting an old indian man with all the connections to get me indian food and indian stuff! I am blessed!
7) I had been wanting a time to just mentor and have fellowship and the person I offered it to wasn't interested but as of yesterday I have someone who not only asked for it but has other people she wants to add to the group! I love how God works!
8) Started my Khmer classes and am learning a lot! I really am a nerd cause I love studying :) and it's nice when you are old and go back to school because you have no shame in asking lots of questions and looking like you are a fool! :) Praise God!
9) Made my first visa run and got to be a true local during it! :) that was definitely an adventure
10) Learned how to ride a bicycle instantly and saw how God really equips! Everyday as I am on that bike I think how amazing my riding skills are. What was interesting this morning was that I really truly realized it isn't me, but God. I wasn't doing that well this morning and I realized I hadn't asked God to help me and as soon as I did, I was my amazing self on the bike!
11) Survived a dengue outbreak without getting it and got to learn a lot about the medical system here and about dengue.
12) Dependence on God - we really can do all things through Christ who strengthen us. It's not our ability but His and He is sovereign. I am talented, very talented and skilled. I graduated from one of the top Medical schools, I know how to do a lot of things, but everyday here I am dependent on God to provide help in the form of people or directly because here I am nothing. And you know what, I love it! I love seeing the kindness in everyone. I love seeing that all my experience means nothing, but that still small voice is what I should listen to and when I do, things happen beyond what I could think or imagine. Nothing works on my time table here but even when we are late, God still makes it the right time. I thought I learned to let go in Japan but it's a whole new level here. There I had nothing to accomplish and do. Whatever I did was more than enough. The mission was to love the people to God and here although the mission is the same - being the body of Christ and loving others as He loves them, here I actually have practical ways to do it that require planning and strategy and yet what I am realizing is that all my plans fail, but God makes my desires come true anyways! All I have to to do is trust in Him and He makes all things work together for my good and for the good of the people of cambodia.
Have a great day! I hope you all take the time to write a diary and thank God for all that He does in your life everyday. I know it really helped me. When I first became a Christian God asked me to write one good thing He had done for me each day. At first it was very hard to find something. I would look through the entire day searching for something, but now I see so many things that I try not to write them all down because it takes so long. I can't help be a glass 1/2 full person because I see the glass as totally full with God on my side. God is very real and a part of everything that we do and I pray He will open your eyes to see how great and deep and wide His love is for you! God Bless!